Title: Veterans’ Liaison
Date Posted: December 2018
Job Type: Full-time
Date Closed: Open until filled
Category: Ag Education/ Administration
Salary: Negotiable/ based on experience
Reports to: Executive Director
The Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship (DGA) is a nonprofit organization with a federally registered National Apprenticeship in managed grazing dairy production. The Apprenticeship program consists of 4000 hours over two years: 3700 hours of paid fulltime work-based training under an approved Master Dairy Grazier and 300 hours of related instruction. DGA recently started its own approved online school, the Managed Grazing Innovation Center, to provide related instruction. The organization has over 150 approved Master Dairy Graziers who deliver the work-based training on their dairy farms. DGA works with eight partner organizations to deliver the program in the eleven states where it operates. A local part-time Education Coordinator employed by the partner organization works directly with Master-Apprentice pairs to support the learning process and provide peer-learning opportunities.
We are seeking a motivated, organized, efficient, and communicative veteran liaison officer to coordinate activities between the DGA, Veteran participants, potential Veteran Candidates and applicable veterans’ organizations. This position will act as the cohesive link between the DGA, Veterans and the outside agencies to increase awareness, provide comprehensive training, incorporate peer coaching, expand the DGA into new geographical areas, and increase the number of veterans participating in the training program.
Work Relationships and Scope
Reports directly to the Executive Director. Also works closely with DGA Administrative Staff.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Obtain thorough knowledge of both the DGA and the veteran community, as well as an understanding of how their specific needs correlate with each other
- Develop relationships with the Veteran’s organizations, Partner Organizations, and approved Federal and State organizations
- Collaborate and communicate successfully with Veteran Service Officers where the DGA has training sites
- Maintain veteran data and feedback to identify opportunities to build strong relationships between the DGA and the applicable Veteran community
- Compile reports about potential recruitment ideas, events, or updates with regards to the AgVets project objectives and outcomes
- Develop and carry out outreach and recruitment activities for Veterans as well as conduct coaching seminars across the DGA footprint
- Work with the DGA Staff, Master Grazers and Education Coordinators to develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to facilitate a greater understanding of the Veteran apprentices and any issues that arise
- Create communication structures to provide peer networking opportunities among veterans involved in DGA
- Serve as a coach and supporter of veterans as they participate in DGA training, providing them access to GI-Bill benefits and other resources from the Veterans Administration and other agencies.
- Act as a positive representation of the DGA to the Veteran community
- Monitor, coordinate, and communicate AgVets Project status to the Executive Director and Program Director
- Additional duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Veteran Status preferred
- Associate’s degree required / Bachelor’s degree or above preferred
- 2+ years of experience in a related role
- Interpersonal skills required; coaching, mentoring, teaching and facilitating discussion
- Dairy/Farm experience preferred / DGA experience a plus
- Knowledge of Veterans’ benefits and transition programs preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and nurture beneficial business relationships
- Conflict resolution and conflict management experience
- Self-motivated with a willingness to take initiative and solve complex problems
- Capability to negotiate with and educate others
- Ability to analyze data and create necessary reports and recommendations
- Ability to identify and apply veteran’s resources across different regions of the U.S.
This is a remote office position that requires access to high speed Internet. Travel (approximately 10%) with some overnight is required. Must have reliable transportation and good driving record with insurance.
To be considered for this position, please submit a PDF version of your resume and cover letter to Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship at firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of submissions will begin January 7, 2019 with an anticipated start date of March 1, 2019